I finished the giraffe quilt on Friday night. Yes, a giraffe. I think she is pretty cute.
Taking photos of quilts is kind of hard. Maybe even worse than taking photos of windows. I am just saying.
I made the applique the same way I did on the elephant - lots of Wonder Under. On this quilt, I embroidered the mouth, though. It is kind of hard to see in the photos though. Trust me when I say that it adds to the charm.
The backing was made with a patchwork strip on purpose this time. The orange gingham is 60 inches wide so I didn't need to add it. But I really had to have it. It is my favorite part. I dig the back side so much that I think I may make a similar one with the strip on the front. I also love how the stripes of free motion quilting make the fabric look kind of like seersucker after I washed it. Another happy accident in my mind.
I know many of you told me not to use different thread colors for the quilting. I didn't listen. There is a bit of orange thread pulling through to the back, but I am OK with it. Because the gingham is orange, it is not so noticeable. I think the key is having the top thread match the backing fabric here....if I couldn't do that, I think I would have just used the same thread on top and bottom.
I added a little house on hill road tag to the back corner of the binding. Tomorrow I am going to fold this up nicely, wrap it lovingly and send it off to a new baby. Then I am going to start planning my next quilt(s) and think about actually quilting the string x one. Against my better judgement, I think I am going to tackle that one myself.