Success! I finished the Dorothy costume with time to spare. And even better, Jane loves it! She was giddy with anticipation as we braided her hair and got ready to go to the party. She spent quite a few minutes in front of the mirror, twirling around and admiring her shoes. Doesn't she look cute?
The costume came together surprisingly well. I had a few issues with the zipper. I am not sure what the problem was, as I have successfully sewn zips many times. It was close to 11:00 at night and my eyesight was getting a bit blurry - that might have had something to do with it. I finally stopped caring after try number two, repeating to myself, "It is only a costume." But overall, it looked difficult, but really was pretty easy.
But in the end, the zipper came back to haunt me. Jane had a little mishap in the jumpie - one of her buttons got caught in the mesh side. Her friends literally ripped her free.
I don't know if she was more upset that the dress had ripped or that people could see her back. Not to worry - it is all fixable. The rips are on the seams and can be easily re-sewn. I'll just have to deal with that zipper one more time. Wish me luck.