Strawberries for Jam

Quilting news

Phew!  You guys really came to a lady's aid.  I have managed to reattach all four of the borders.  Numbers 1, 2, and 3 went on fairly easy.  The last one did not.  It took about 5 tries, but I did it.  I went with the stay-stitching suggestion.  It was great.  I think if I ever make a quilt like this again, I might even stay stitch each square before I piece them together.  It would only add a minute or so and eliminate a lot of the bias stretch.  Anyhow, the whole thing is laid out and about 85% basted - I ran out of pins.

In other quilt news, I finished my June square for the Virtual Quilting Bee this weekend.


Anina sent the floral in the middle and the pink polka dot surrounding it.  She asked for a scrappy log cabin square.  I dug through my scrap box(es) and this is what I ended up with.  I hope she likes it!

OK - I need to go pack up some embroidery or something.  We are off to our first swim team practice.  See you all later.


Mama Urchin

Nice job on the borders and the June block.


I'm so glad that you got the borders of that lovely quilt attached so that they lay smooth. I'll remember the stay stitching tip - if I EVER actually get to that point!


Glad you got your borders to work!

I love your log cabins. I'm planning to start some log cabin blocks this week, inspired partially by YOU.


Pretty little square... scrappyness can be so sweet and appealing.
Happy news about those pesky borders. I was cheering for you!

miss chris

Woohoo for stay stitching. :) Your log cabin square is darling. Of course she'll love it.


So glad you were able to fix the borders on your quilt, the new square looks great, love the scrappy log cabin square.

Anne K.

Great news that it turned out OK and that you had the stick-tuitiveness to get it done! You're exactly right, stay-stitching around individual string-pieced blocks really helps mitigate the inevitable stretching. I tend to us a thin muslin foundation fabric when piecing them, too, in order to keep everything where it should be. Yours is gorgeous!

Oh, and I saw your apron book cover in our local quilt shop here in Corning NY the other day. I squeaked for joy! :-)

Caron Mosey

So glad it worked for you! Remember, wrinkles never do really "quilt out." It's always best to do what you did - fix the problem before it becomes a permanant one! Nice job!


glad to hear that your got the borders attached. your quilt block for June looks fabulous. you do wonky well. :)


I'm glad that your quilt trauma has worked out and your borders are on. I'm in love with every fabric you used in the June block.

Mary Ann/ca

I've come to this a day late but whenever I do bias edges like this or something similar like diamonds I press the fabric as I go and the blocks with Mary Ellen's Best Press, its fabulous and really helps eliminate wavy edges!


I love your little log cabin block. You have some great scraps in your stash. I am sure she will love it!



love you to be our "crafty lady" in an upcoming issue of mixtape.
let me know if you are interested!!
email me

justine x


I'm so glad you sorted out the quilt problem.
Oh, and she LOVES it!
Happy swimming!


o.k. i just came accross your blog. i adore your sewing projects. they are sooo cute. i am adding you to my blog roll if you don't mind.


I know I'm miles behind but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. I recently learnt the most valuable lesson on borders from my boss at the quilting store I work for. Several people suggested it to you but didn't explain why it's so important. When you are adding a border you must measure the centre and both sides to get the average measurement. You then cut that measurement and make it fit. You continue to do this around the quilt ie. once you've added the sides you then remeasure for the top and bottom borders to get the average. The end result is a perfectly square quilt no matter how out of whack your blocks are. I have done it and it works perfectly!

The comments to this entry are closed.